Saturday, January 23, 2016

So it Begins...

The first time I mentioned participating in the Susan G. Komen 60 Miles in 3 Days, I think my family thought I was crazy.  I rarely even walked 60 feet, let alone 60 miles.  Not only that, but this past year has been filled with physical limitations for me.

In March 2015, I found out I was pregnant with twin girls.  After trying for 5 years, we were finally pregnant! To say we were thrilled would be an understatement.   However, we quickly discovered that this would be a challenging pregnancy.  The first trimester was filled with terrible morning sickness that made it hard to leave the house for extended periods of time.  The second trimester brought a bigger challenge when complications presented the risk of giving birth at 20 weeks, something our girls would not have survived.  After 3 weeks of home bedrest, a speciality doctor was able to do a procedure that would buy us more time, but I was put on hospital bedrest for 6 weeks.  This meant a total of 9 weeks of limited movement.  I was allowed a five minute daily shower and a 5 minute walk around the hospital floor.  The rest of my time was spent lying on a bed, on my side.

Our girls were born at 29 weeks via c-section. Thankfully, they are doing wonderfully and we averted a major crisis!  However, the experience had a profound impact on me.  It was one of the hardest things I have had to go through and it made me realize I am stronger than I thought.

I have never been "fit".  I have been plus-sized since I was a kid and have tried every diet known to science.  Weight Watchers, Nutri-System, Atkins,  etc. etc.  I have tried all sorts of work out and exercise routines like personal training, soccer, joining a gym, joining a private gym, and so on.  I have been able to maintain it for awhile and then it peters out.

So what is different now?  When I said my pregnancy experience changed me, I meant it.   I realized that if I can endure that, I can do anything I put my mind to.  That I have the strength and power to do this.  I also want to do it for my babies.   During my pregnancy I spent a lot of time thinking about all of the things I want for them.  I want them to love themselves, their minds, hearts, and bodies.  I want them to be proud of who they are and the choices they make.  I want them to take good care of themselves.   Then I realized that if I can want those things for them, then I should want them for myself.  Not only that, but by wanting those things for myself, I set an example for them.   How can I encourage them to go outside and be active, if I am not?  How can I expect them to eat healthy foods if I don't?  How can I expect them to strive to meet goals, if I do not do the same?

Each year my father-in-law and stepmother-in-law participate in the 60 Miles in 3 Days walk.  They are inspiring to me and I marvel at their commitment and dedication to this.   When they announced they were doing the walk in San Diego again, it planted a seed that maybe I could participate with them.   The thought intimidated the hell out of me and I thought it would be crazy for me to do and I would be getting in over my head.   Still, it kept bouncing around in my head.  I mentioned it to my husband and my mother and they both looked at me like I had two heads.  Still, the idea kept growing.   When my father-in-law and stepmother-in-law came to visit us, I mentioned the idea to them.  They were very supportive and I thought that maybe I could do it and just do the best I could.  That even if I just did five miles a day, it would be okay.   However, I told myself to wait a few days before making a decision.  That I would possibly regret committing to this because I would surely be in over my head.   I have ever walked more than 10 miles in a day, and that was probably from walking all over DisneyWorld.   How on Earth would I go from being in the worst shape I have ever been in and still feeling the physical effects of 9 weeks on bedrest and then recover from a c-section to walking 60 miles?  I'd be out of my mind to think I could do that.

Then I realized I was letting myself cop out.  Of course this was going to be hard.  Of course this was going to feel like I was in over my head.  That's what change feels like.  That's what it feels like when you're out of your comfort zone.  That if I didn't feel uncomfortable about the whole thing, then I wouldn't be pushing myself and I would never meet my fitness goals.  The whole point of making a change is to push yourself to do it.  So did I really want to achieve fitness or not?  It was time to put my money where my mouth is.

So, here I am.  I have 300 days and 42 weeks before this walk.  I need to raise $3000 ($2300 minimum) to do it.  My plan is do kickboxing 2-3 times a week and then to walk 3-4 times a week.  I have started with two miles a day and am working up to 3 and then to 4 and so on.   Once every 3-4 weeks I will do a power walk where I will walk 10 miles, then 15, then 20 in a day.

I am sharing this journey, in part so I can be held accountable for this.  I am determined to not lame out on this.  Writing and sharing my process is a motivator for me and helps to keep me focused and engaged.

So, that's the plan. To go from being in the worst shape of my life to the best shape of my life in the span of a year (ok, technically 14 months).   I am motivated, determined, and ready to go.

Let's do this thing!

http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2016/SanDiegoEvent2016?px=7391589&pg=personal&fr_id=1956

No comments:

Post a Comment