Monday, January 25, 2016

Planning

My first order of business was to get myself organized and to create a plan.  Their is a RoadRunner Sports right next the kickboxing gym, so I stopped in to get some good sneakers.   They offer a service where they do a complete fitting for you.  So they measured my feet, examined my pressure points, and videotaped me walking on a treadmill so we could analyze my walk.   It was all really informative and helpful.   I talked with the knowledgable shoe expert and walked away with two new pairs of sneakers and some custom made insoles.   Goodbye to my old crappy Payless sneakers.  

Next order of business is an appointment with a podiatrist.  A few years ago I rolled my right foot playing soccer and it bothers me when I walk a lot.  I can tell that it also causes the pain to travel up to my right knee, which is the one I sprained a few years ago.   Short of a whole leg transfer, I'm not sure what he can do for me, but I want to cover all my bases to get my physical stuff sorted out.  

I then set up my diet and physical regime.  I have been keeping my diet to under 1600 calories and only eating natural and fresh foods, with lots of veggies.   I am doing the kickboxing classes 2x a week and walking for three.  I have taken the past two days off to give my body time to recover, as my foot was causing me to limp. 

For now, I am keeping my walks to doing loops around the neighborhood, rather than doing one long linear walk. This way I can get home quickly if I need to be there for the girls.  Chris and my mom are incredibly supportive and generous to give me a bit of time each day for this.  Eventually, the girls will be big enough to fit into a stroller and I can take them with me, but they are still a bit too little for that. 

I started off with 2 miles a day and am now up to 3.  Every week I will add a little bit more length and speed.  I started off doing 22 minute miles and was able to bring it 16 minute miles on my last walk.   Every time I feel like copping out, I make myself add a little bit of length.  For example, on my last walk, I had done one loop and was really tempted to just call it day because I was feeling sore.  Instead, I pushed myself to one of the bigger loops for my second loop and to walk faster. 
I know that the physical changes I want will only come from a mental change.   Allowing myself to cut workouts short or giving myself an out is a slippery slope.  

In addition the physical and mental impact, there is also the emotional motivators.  Knowing that I am also doing this for a good cause is an excellent motivator.  As Tina says, when I'm feeling tired it helps to remember why this walk is so important.  Yes, I have my own personal goals and demons, but there is also the big picture of the fact that it is for such a good cause.  I am grateful to be healthy and capable enough to walk.  That as hard as it was to spend so much time in the hospital and to worry about my baby girls, we got out okay.  There are so many people who don't survive or endure long term suffering.   Keeping that at the forefront of my mind keeps me in the bigger picture and to not take my body for granted by being lazy.  

On that note, it's time to wrap this up and get going with my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment